Monday, September 12, 2011

Thumbs Down! J.Crew Tissue Tee.

The roller coaster weather in the Fall, especially is the Northeast, can have you wearing shorts and a cute tee one day, skinny jeans and a trench coat the next. And, who doesn't love a well fitted trench?


Well, I have the same feeling when it comes to long sleeve tees this time of year.  I like mine to be figure flattering and fitted, not unshapely and slouchy.  For the past few years I have bought the picture perfect tissue tee from J.Crew.  I love the way it looks in the J.Crew catalog and online - just looking at this beautifully fitted tee makes me want to order more online...    


But, I won't.  Every year I get sucked into buying this perfect looking tissue tee in fabulous rich jewel tones and wear-with-everything neutrals.  

The fabric is thin and lightweight, hence the name - tissue tee.  Surprisingly, I find it warm when layered under a cardigan or another tee.  The arm length and torso length are a bit on the longer side, but I like that in a tee - it makes the layering look modern and fresh.

Now the bad news, and it is B.A.D.  Because this tee has no lycra, it looses its shape quickly and in an ugly way.  The first 20 minutes or so are glorious - until you start moving around and the stretching begins.  The waist area balloons out, and the sleeves from the elbow down resemble parachute pants from the 'stylish' 1980's.  Let's all take a moment of silence as we remember those good 'ol days.  (wink, wink)  

Another thing I have noticed is that small holes appear in the fabric after a few washes.  I wash the tissue tee according to the J.Crew care label, so I find this unacceptable from such a quality retailer.  

I understand that this J.Crew tissue tee is primarily a layering piece, but who wants an overstretched under layer that is sprouting little holes wherever it gets a little tugged or pulled.  Not me!  And to wear it alone, all I can say is...yikes.

This year I have vowed to myself to not get sucked into the beautiful looking picture on J.Crew.com by remembering my unsightly figure in this tee. Sigh.

J.Crew should really consider adding a little lycra so this tissue tee hugged the body more closely.  The theory of a lightweight tissue tee is great, but the reality is a boxy, overstretched layering piece.  If J.Crew tweaked the make of this a little, it could easily be a little hot number for us stylish women.  Oh, and while you are at it J.Crew, the v-neck tissue tee's are not made for anyone that is larger than an A bra cup size.  It is hard to dress classy and professional when you are "Little Miss I See All Your Cleavage".  Throw us a bone, lovely J.Crew designers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...